Saturday, April 18, 2009

Enjoying the Stillness

About an hour ago I started writing a different post, but my heart just wasn't in it. It seemed forced, as if I was trying to will myself to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Unfortunately, God never has, and never will be on my "On Demand" list. So, my original writing tonight about how busy life can be, and how it just gets in the way of God sometimes, has now morphed into more a post about just being still. Similar, yes, but different in that now the Lord is directing the words, whereas before I was coercing them.

I thought I would share with you tonight my favorite verse in the Bible. I have loved this verse for as long as I can remember. Often it plays like a constant refrain inside my head. It is a short verse, easy to memorize, but unbelievably hard to implement sometimes in everyday life. In Psalm 46:10 we are instructed to, "Be still, and know that I am God". These words have reached places in me that no other words ever have. They have changed me, as I have been able to relate this simple phrase to every situation I have experienced in my life...

The birth of my children? Check. (Be in awe, I am the God who created life!)

The death of my father? Check. (Peace, my child, I am the God who has conquered death.)

Worry over money, health, kids, etc.? Check. (Everything will be all right, I am the God who controls everything.)

Success and celebration? Check. (Step back, faithful one, and count the blessings your trust in Me has earned you.)

This verse renews me. It excites me. It calms me. And most importantly, it reminds me.

So tonight, as I listen to my three-year old daughter playing in her room long after she is supposed to be asleep, as my husband sits in the other room trying not to become worried about recent work developments, as I continue to battle with the loss of my Dad, and as my dog whines at me to go outside for what seems like the umpteenth time in the last ten minutes, I will heed the words of my Heavenly Father. I will be quiet, I will trust, I will appreciate His sovereignty over every minute of my life, and I will remember that He is God. There is nothing in this life so important to hold onto as that.

Dear Lord in heaven,
I pray this day in peace, knowing that these seemingly scattered, anxious moments have already been seen by you, and ordained by You. You can do no wrong, it is impossible for You to fail, to make a mistake goes against everything You are. Today I take comfort knowing that I serve a capable God, a powerful God, a God who enjoys me, and a God who is loving enough to know that I need gentle reminders on occasion to simply just be still, remember all that You are, and embrace what You being You means for my life.
I love You, Lord. Thank You for giving me glimpses of Your greatness, and the knowledge that I have only just begun to scratch the surface of it.
In Your Wonderful Name I pray,
Amen

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing how a simple verse can be applied to so many aspects of life. I printed your entry tonight to share as a future devotional at school. You are a blessing to many you have never met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What blessings he gives when we trust and obey... what a blessing THIS has been as you OBEYED and quit with that other post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also been caught up in being a "too busy" mom and how do I let God slow down that pace? These words were exactly what I needed--it's as simple as just being still...and letting God. Thank you for reminding us not just to read those verses but to repeat them and use them as the power of God in us.

    ReplyDelete